Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
A part-time position reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Bookkeeper is responsible for handling the fundamental aspects of a firm’s financial recordkeeping, including recording financial transactions, managing accounts payable and receivable, and reconciling bank statements.
The Bookkeeper works closely with the Executive Director and other key members of the SPARC staff in maintaining accurate and up-to-date financial records.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive invoices and verify correct general ledger distribution coding and amounts. Validate with department heads as needed.
- Responsible for the input of all financial transactions into organization’s accounting system. These include all payables, receipts, payroll, and miscellaneous journal entries, as directed.
- Pay all expenditures in accordance with vendor terms.
- Assure expenditures are in accordance with approval and documentation standards. This includes but is not limited to packing or receiving document of goods or services, appropriate staff signatures on invoices, adequate documentation for expenses paid by corporate credit card, periodically validating recurring ACH or credit card charges, etc.
- Maintain filing of organization financial and HR records within the established guidelines
- Assist CFO with documentation for annual audit and tax return.
- Receive and verify bank deposits made by Director of Operations. Reconcile credit card receipts with bank credit card deposits. Responsible for resolving all discrepancies.
- Monitor cash balances in bank accounts. Promptly record all electronic transactions and reconcile bank accounts.
- Coordinate any known financial compliance requirement.
- Provide staff with appropriate information and reports as requested, and work with staff to resolve and/or achieve organization goals.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, CFO, or other member of the senior leadership team.
- Accuracy of financial records.
- On-time payment of bills.
- Successful resolution/coordination of financial issues
- Positive attitude. Our team succeeds when all members have a can-do spirit, are fun to be around, and do not complain, make excuses, or gossip.
- Self-starter, self-manager. We need someone who takes initiative, anticipates needs, and gets things done on time.
- Detail oriented. There are many moving pieces in SPARC, and we need someone who makes complex things seem simple.
- Positive communicator. We want someone who can be counted on to focus on the positive, inspire the team, and value his/her colleagues.
- Trustworthy. Our team and constituents need to be able to count on the confidentiality, follow-through, and responsiveness of the person in this role.
- Decisive. Though senior leadership is always available to support you with sensitive problems, we need someone comfortable making decisions and judgment calls.
- Adaptive. We need someone who is able to handle unexpected situations in stride, and who is prepared and capable to step in for a member of his/her team at a moment’s notice.
- Committed to excellence. We give our students, families, faculty, and the community a “wow experience” with SPARC at every opportunity.
- Education: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience: Minimum three years’ experience in a bookkeeping position, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Technical: Advanced skills with QuickBooks, Microsoft Office including Excel, and Microsoft Outlook email
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Possess a car, valid driver’s license, and acceptable driving record.
Please submit the following materials to SPARC@sparconline.org:
- Cover letter and resume
- Contact information for personal and professional references